Metal Earth Project: Fluid Source & Pathways, Source to Sink
Source to Sink:
Toward an integrated understanding of the auriferous fluid flow system(s).
Dr. Benoît Quesnel, Research Associate, Université Laval.
Dr. Georges Beaudoin, NSERC-Agnico-Eagle Industrial Research Chair in Mineral Exploration, Université Laval
Dr. Benoît Quesnel, Research Associate, Université Laval
Dr. Christophe Scheffer, Research Associate, Université Laval
Dr. Crystal LaFlamme, Associate Professor, Université Laval
Dr. Carl Guilmette, Associate Professor, Université Laval
Dr. Christian Dupuis, Associate Professor, Université Laval
Dr. Bertrand Rottier, Associate Professor, Université Laval
Guillaume Barré, Postdoctoral Fellow, Université Laval
Yasaman Nemati, PhD student, Université Laval
Michael Herzog, PhD student, Université Laval
Isaac Siles Malta, PhD student, Université Laval
Guillaume Raymond, MSc student, Université Laval
- Dr. Ben M. Frieman, Research Associate, Laurentian University
- Dr. Taus R.C. Jørgensen, Research Associate, Laurentian University
- Dr. Mostafa Naghizadeh, Laurentian University
- Dr. Kate E.L. Rubingh, Research Associate, Laurentian University
- Dr. Richard Smith, Laurentian University
- Dr. Douglas K. Tinkham, Laurentian University
- Dr. Zsuzsanna Tóth, Research Associate, Laurentian University
- Dr. Xiaohui Zhou, Research Associate, Laurentian University
- Dr. Pierre Bedeaux, Université du Québec à Chicoutimi (UQAC)
- Dr. Matthijs A. Smit, University of British Columbia
- Dr. Christopher MacFarlane, University of New Brunswick
- Dr. Iain Pitcairn, Stockholm University
- Dr. Michael A. Hamilton, University of Toronto
- Dr. Steffen Hagemann, and Dr. Nicolas Thébaud, Centre for Exploration Targeting
- Dr. Josué Jautzy, and Dr. Martine M. Savard, Natural Resources Canada
- Farnaz Ghoraishi, PhD candidate, Laval University
- Camille Hébert, PhD candidate, Laval University
- Jill Annette Marcotte, and Richard Morel, Goldex Mine, Agnico Eagle Mines Ltd.;
- Issam Bakari, Francis Tremblay-Bergeron, Mikell Bilodeau, Yanick Champagne, and Marie-des-Neiges Gagnon, Nicole Houle, Canadian Malartic Mine Corp.
- Maxime Le Bacq, and Jacques Simoneau, Eldorado Gold Corp.; Benjamin Gagnon, Émilie Gagnon, Luc Théberge, and Jessy Thelland, Eldorado Gold Lamaque
- Claude Pilote, Falco Resources Ltd.
- Breanne Beh, and Marco Gagnon, Probe Metals Inc.
- Baptiste Chapon, Sylvain Lépine, and Dr. Gérald Riverin, Yorbeau Resources Inc.
Scope of Project:
The Source to Sink research group focuses on the characterization through time and space of the auriferous fluid flow system(s). As such, the project endeavours to characterize the transport of gold from its source to its sink. A multidisciplinary team for mineral geochemistry, geochronology, geophysics, and pressure-temperature-time (P-T-t-X) constraints modelling is pursuing this objective by trying to answer aspects of the following categories:
- What are the source(s) of fluid(s) and volatiles?
- What are the geological processes driving fluid release?
- What are the lithologies the fluids are derived from?
- What are the source(s) of Gold?
- What is the mobility of Au and related elements associated to geological processes.
- What is the timing of fluid generation?
- What is the corresponding geodynamic
- What are the mechanisms driving destabilization of gold-carrying causing gold endowment?
- Are fluid flow conditions and fluid-rock interactions important to form a deposit?
- What are key parameters (T, P, fO2, fS2, pH) to form a deposit?
- What is the timing of gold mineralization?
- Is gold mineralization a result of successive hydrothermal fluid events?
The team anticipates the production of multiple publications and reports related to the main scientific questions related to our project (cf. Scope of the project)
Transect Research Projects
Monitoring fluid composition through multiple hydrothermal pulses in the Val d’Or camp.
Michael Herzog, Ph.D. Candidate, Université Laval
Regional Isotopic Survey Systematics.
Benoît Quesnel and Christophe Scheffer, RA, Université Laval
Physical properties of hydrothermal alteration halo along the Augmitto-Bouzan segment.
Yasaman Nemati, Ph.D. Candidate, Université Laval
Modelling the composition, volume and timing of fluid generation from Pontiac metasediments.
Isaac Siles Malta, Ph.D. Candidate, Université Laval
Spatial variation of fluid flow along the Augmitto-Bouzan segment.
Guillaume Raymond, M.Sc. Candidate, Université Laval
Source to Sink Project Update 2019