SEG 2021 Post-conference Workshop
September 22 & 23, 2021
This workshop will highlight the variable mineral endowment of Archean granite-greenstone terranes of the Superior Craton focussing on the 3D structural architecture of these terranes derived from surface geology, reflection seismic, and magnetotelluric studies.
The symposium will highlight new results from Laurentian University’s Metal Earth program where in excess of 1,000 km of reflection seismic, magnetotelluric and gravity geophysical surveys have provided some of the highest resolution imaging across transects within the Abitibi and the Wabigoon terranes.
The contributions will emphasize integration of field and laboratory geological, geochemical and geophysical studies providing new insights into the geological and metallogenic framework of granite-greenstone terranes, their relationship to metasedimentary terranes, the mantle metal reservoirs underlying granite-greenstone terranes, and the architecture of the structural conduits controlling the upward migration of melts and mineralizing hydrothermal fluids.
The course will consist of presentations by Metal Earth researchers.
This is a virtual workshop, but spaces are limited. Register by August 31 to save your seat!
Wed. Sept 22, 12 - 4 p.m.
Abitibi Session: Speakers and Topics
- Dr. Lucie Mathieu; Assistant Professor, Université du Québec à Chicoutimi: Tectono-magmatic evolution of the Abitibi greenstone belt: importance for Cu-Au and Au magmatic-hydrothermal systems
- Dr. Taus R.C. Jørgensen; Metal Earth Research Associate: Crustal architecture and volcanogenic massive sulfide endowment: Insights from the Metal Earth Rouyn-Noranda transect
- Dr. Kate Rubingh; Metal Earth Research Associate:Targeting crustal fertility using Magnetotelluric and Seismic data in the Larder Lake area
- Dr. Rasmus Haugaard; Metal Earth Research Associate: Large-Scale Geology and Fault Geometry of Gold-Endowed Archean Crust: Insight from the Matheson area of the Abitibi Greenstone Belt
Thurs Sept. 23, 12 - 4 p.m.
Wabigoon Session: Speakers and Topics
- Dr. Ben Frieman; Metal Earth Research Associate: Unraveling the lithotectonic evolution of the western Wabigoon subprovince: Insight into the influence of inherited lithospheric architecture on metallogenesis
- Dr. Zsuzsanna Toth; Metal Earth Research Associate: Crustal architecture and tectonic evolution of the eastern Wabigoon subprovince with insights into the controls on metal endowment
- Dr. Chong Ma; Metal Earth Research Associate: Tectonic evolution of the western Wabigoon terrane in the Sturgeon Lake region: implications for understanding structural controls on the greenstone belt and its VMS deposits
- Dr. Gaetan Launay; Metal Earth Research Associate: Stratigraphy, crustal architecture and metallogeny of the Rainy River greenstone belt
Find full details about the conference and how to register for this workshop via the SEG 2021 Post-Conference Workshops page.